Saturday 30 March 2013

Challenging myself, one tattoo at a time!

I often find with tattooing that ill end up doing the same style of tattoos over and over again, and ill feel like I'm stagnating. For example, these past couple of weeks I've been doing lots of floral tattoos, mainly roses. Now I love roses, they're one of my favourite subjects to tattoo, but I felt like I could do them with my eyes closed and upside down! So every so often, from an artistic perspective, it's good to drag yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new.

I got requested to do a realistic lions head, now considering I mainly do colour cartoony stuff, doing a black and grey lions head was a big big change. Especially with realism/portraiture, your at a massive risk of shading too much or too lightly and making them look like they've ran into a fridge! Although I let him know this, he said he didn't mind and that he'd like me to do it.

So it took 3 hours in, lots of my concentration and equipment, and I have to say it turned out better than I ever thought! So I had a nice confidence boost, and it's getting a lot of good attention via Facebook! Let me know what you all think!

I understand that tattooing still has a lot of stigma, I hope to bring to the knitting community that tattoos is just another art form and creative outlet, and can be appreciated as such, despite perhaps not wanting one themselves!

Til next time - Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment