Saturday, 27 July 2013

What I've been busy doing these past few weeks...

So, me being the type of person to run before I can walk, I embarked on my first proper cross stitch project of my own!

This is the design, all ready to stitch with DMC threads:


Its my Mother and my Step-Dad on their wedding day last year! I adore this picture and their entire wedding was vintage themed, with vinyl and cupcakes and a rock 'n' roll band. I thought what better than to cross-stitch their photo to enjoy for years to come?

So a few weeks have passed and I've been trying to do a 10x10 square a day. I'm not doing so well, but after learning the "parking method", my stitching has sped up tenfold! As you can see from the pattern, in 100 crossstitch squares, there can be 30 or 40 colour changes! So parking has suited me very well.

Here is some progress pictures, and how my "cross stitch caddy" is set up!


I have approximately 27 colours, and many more skiens in storage just in case I run out! My caddy has removeable sections which is really useful, as I've made a little bin for my waste threads, and a section for my pens, needles and scissors!


This is the first (and smallest!) page I'm doing, as it starts in the top left. I didn't like the idea of starting in the middle and spending months rubbing my wrists over finished needlework and making it tatty!


I do try to wind my bobbins neatly but sometimes it just doesn't happen!


I used a thin sharpie to write the symbols and numbers on the bobbins, this helps for quick selection. As I'm using at least 10-12 colours at a time, I like being able to quickly find a colour bobbin and check it against the thread to make sure I'm using the right one!


1500 stitches so far (I think!) if you compare it to the picture above you can see it coming together! I gridded with a wash away marker, that will disappear when I wash it (or I hope so, otherwise tears will be shed and tantrums had!)

I'm using an R&R Frame, which is a plastic snap frame to hold your embroidery. In the US a similar brand is Q-Snap! I really recommend these as you can keep them in the frames for long periods of time, and unlike embroidery hoops, doesn't leave harsh line marks!

I'm using the largest size available, 17" x 17" which is quite unwieldy to be honest, but I've gotten used to it, and I like being able to eventually see the entire cross stitch on it! My local needlework shop has ordered in some smaller sizes for me for future projects, as I can't see myself going back to hoops after this!

Thankyou for looking!







4 comments:

  1. Wow - that's going to take a while! I actually thought the picture was of you. It's lovely - will you keep it or give it to your mum and step-dad? Well done so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I'm hoping to give it to them as a first wedding anniversary this year on 12th December, if it isn't finished by then it may be an xmas or new years present :D

      Delete
  2. I love this project, looking forward to more updates. Also love how you've marked the symbol on you floss bobbins - an idea I will most likely pinch! Also, many thanks for showing the parking method - an interesting technique that I may have to explore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do pinch the idea! I can change the bobbins and rewrite them for new projects, great for a temporary storage for your current project! I love the parking method, I can now do a 10x10 square in around 30 mins - an hour depending on how many colours there are. It used to be much much longer! The back isn't as messy as you expect as you do end up travelling with the thread, but it doesnt matter with a design like this as there isn't any spare fabric at the end!

      Delete